Monday, January 23, 2017

GST

Posted by Secretary General on 2:37 PM with No comments
On 16.01.2017, the 9th meeting of GST Council took place where the Centre and states reached a consensus on sharing powers for control over tax payers under GST, which will now be rolled out from July 1. The consensus was reached after the Centre almost surrendered to the demands of states.   The following major decisions were taken at the 9th meeting of all-powerful GST Council:-

1.Under the proposed tax regime, 90% of all assessees with a turnover of Rs 1.5 crore or less will be assessed for scrutiny and audit by state authorities, the remaining 10% by the Centre.
2.Assesses with a turnover  above Rs 1.5 crore, the Centre and states will assess with a 50:50 ratio. 
3.Each assessee would be assessed only by one authority
4.The power to levy and collect the I-GST lies with the central government, but states will also be cross-empowered in the same ratio as above through a special provision in the law.
5.Any I-GST disputes among states will be resolved by the Centre.
6.The Centre also ceded ground on taxation rights over the sea. Territorial waters extending to 12 nautical miles fall under control of the union government, but as per agreement in the meeting, states will be empowered to collect tax on any economic activity in this zone. 

The above decision of the GST Council is a big blow to the existence of the CBEC.  Since, a large portion of the assessee base will go with the states, the employee of CBEC will face greater obstacles in career headway.  With this decision, it will be very difficult for the CBEC to carry on existing posts in the new GST regime.  The indifference and inactiveness of the Board towards the career advancement of Group-B officers is not new.  During the Cadre Restructuring in CBEC, 7th CPC and thereafter, we faced a similar situation when the Board made certain commitments and later forgotten.    

Whenever, we went to the Board or Ministry and told them our concerns about GST, we were assured better career prospects in GST era and we were told not to protest since all grievances/suggestions of the AICEIA will be taken care of.  But at this present juncture, we feel betrayed.  The lack of unity and understanding among the Associations of Central Excise Department also played a key role in it. 

Dear comrades, we will not achieve anything till we fight tooth and nail, this is reality.  We will have to fight without any fear.  When our career is at stake, no option left.    We have nothing to lose and little time in our hand, we should start preparing for final fight so that we may survive with dignity.  We are assessing the impact of the decision and finding the avenues where we can get benefited.  Moreover, we are also assessing whether going on strike will yield result or not.  All options are open.   All office bearers and members across the country are requested to stay prepared for the call of AICEIA.  Meanwhile, in case, any member has anything to suggest, please send us on our email id- sgaiceia@gmail.com.



0 comments: